Friday, April 06, 2007

Hunger: the end

What does one write on Good Friday, when one has spent the last 40 days writing about hunger? When one has gone grocery shopping this afternoon, buying luxuries against the end of the Lenten discipline? When one has never truly felt hunger, despite that discipline, and despite knowing those who have?

I don't know what to write. I am blessed, as, I imagine, are you, to have eaten my fill many times, to have education and opportunities, to speak and write and read on issues that interest me. The tragedy of hunger is that it walks hand in hand with the lack of all those things. Hunger travels with ignorance, with oppression, because it feeds from them. Hunger lives with those who were not given a chance far more often than those who were.

The truth is, I can't really add anything to what I've written before. I've explained my take on the hunger situation and some possible solutions. If you want to learn more, I've suggested some resources. For now, I'll just ask: please, do something.

No comments: