Sunday, March 04, 2007

Hunger: organizing

In the next week, I think I'll discuss some of the organizations that work on hunger issues. There are many, so I'll just mention the ones that I know and care about. Today, then, I'll give a little background on the types of organizations:
  • NGO -- non-governmental organization, existing in a wide variety of forms and purposes
  • UN agency -- a branch of the United Nations, funded by governmental members of the UN
  • Governmental aid programs -- run and funded by the individual governments
  • Faith-based organizations -- usually NGO's, not always associated with a particular church or denomination, but usually involved with a particular religion
This is a quick and dirty explanation, but I'm a little tired today. Tomorrow I'll get into specifics.

No comments: