Monday, April 02, 2007

Hunger: why?

I admit, I'm out of ideas. This has happened on occasion in the last 35 days, but inspiration generally struck. Today -- nothing.

So maybe I'll talk about why hunger exists. Except, of course, that I don't really know. I can spout off arguments: distribution problems, inequity, greed, misunderstanding, drought, disease, the list goes on. But none of these are core reasons.

I think all of this stems from living in a fallen world. I'm not going to get too deep into theology, but everyone should be able to agree that this world and the people in it are not inherently good in the sense that we think of good. The world is good, but not good, if you know what I mean. We think good means good-to-us, when it actually means good-for-us. Big difference.

People are not good, deep down, in any sense of the word. We all have feelings that we refer to as base, base instincts and base emotions. Ever wonder why we use that term in the connotation of bad? We sense that we are imperfect, flawed creatures at heart.

So hunger exists. Some people live in plenty while others suffer in need. Thus it was and ever shall be. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do something about it, just that we need to know that we can't ever completely fix it. I joke that my career goal is to end world hunger, but I have to admit that making a small dent is all I can reasonably hope for.

But that small dent is worth it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maybe some questions for you will spur some ideas.
Has the "flat world" successes in India had an effect on regional hunger?
Why do we have hunger in the most prosperous country in the world?
It seems that hunger is related to latitude, why is that and are there implications there of global warming.
Future hunger is a topic all to itself.
Abel has been teaching a bible study called the divine design that uses pictures to descibe theological issues. We are not attending but did attend the preview. One set of pictures sums up a lot of why the world is fallen. The first (pre-fall) picture showed a line from man to God and a line from God to man, showing lines of thought and communication. The post fall image had man with a line circulation around himself. Our thoughts and communication surround ourselves. We don't focus on God or filter our thoughts and communication through God.