Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Je prefiere

My sister sent me to this site, after reading Blink. It's supposed to identify your initial prejudices. Yep, probably works. There were some surprises for me, but mostly it was my complete failure to line up with most of the automatic preferences they were obviously expecting. A few came out (I seem to associate African Americans with weapons and careers with men), but mostly I was neutral and in a few I broke the expected paradigm (a preference for Judaism over other religions, for example, and an association between Native Americans and American things). Or was I?

As I took these tests, I would routinely catch myself. I had a lot of the preferences they expected to see. I was just fast enough to hide them. That is far more disturbing to me than the results they gave me. I was proud to score such that I was unprejudiced and open-minded, but I know at some level that those scores are false. I am prejudiced. Maybe it's buried deeper in me than in other people, maybe I hide it better, but the prejudice is there. And that hurts.

2 comments:

Roxann said...

Perhaps...

But don't you think that being able to recognize and react against (i.e. not act on) the prejudices is the first step toward removing them? I think it is very hard to grow up without developing prejudices... but its a sign of true maturity to not act on them.

Roxann said...

You're obviously Lutheran. You grew up with a healthy sense of guilt. ;)