Monday, August 13, 2007

What will be the next local?

Looking critically at the idea of 'food miles' and greenhouse gas production, some people are starting to think that eating locally isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Well, it depends on how you eat locally.

For instance, I could eat locally by demanding the same level of aesthetic perfection in the same variety of foods, willing to pay extra for the fruit or vegetable that wasn't meant to grow in my region. In that case, the extra water, pesticides, energy, etc. used to grow that produce could outweigh the resources needed to ship it from South America or New Zealand.

On the other hand, I could eat locally by paying attention to growing seasons and regional specialties, willing to eat in-season, local varietals that may have a few blemishes. In that case, well, I'm eating like one of my ancestors, who would never have considered demanding California strawberries in December when they lived in New York. In other words, I'm decreasing my footprint the old-fashioned way.

What's that? You can't give up your exotic tastes? Then don't. But buy the exotic stuff from the places it's meant to be grown.

You want more variety in your diet, and less seasonal clumping? Shut up and eat your zucchini!

2 comments:

Roxann said...

Two-nosed dog
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6940289.stm

Angelika said...

The really annoying part of the Californian strawberries is that in up-state NY the supermarkets sell them, even during the best NY-state strawberry harvest time. - It took me about two years of frustration, until I found a proper strawberry supply. Now I have 11 pounds local tastiness in my freezer for unseasonal enjoyment :-)