Thursday, May 31, 2007

A lack of courtesy

I'm not a lawyer (unlike the man involved), so I can't say it's illegal to fly commercially while knowing you have TB. It does show a lack of courtesy, though.

Every article I've seen mentions that the man knew he had TB when he left on his honeymoon. He didn't know it was XDR until he was already gone. Knowing that he had XDR-TB, he avoided federal officials who were attempting to get him safely home in order to sneak into the country himself.

What does it take to knowingly expose not only a large number of strangers, but also your new wife, to TB? How does a lawyer justify trying to hide his movements from government agents? I'm guessing a) he can afford to have the good stuff (like a long European honeymoon with at least 5 flights), so he's not used to being 'thwarted' or controlled in any way; b) he hasn't been taught to think about others if that will make life less than easy for him; c) he either never knew or has forgotten any basic health protocols (I wonder if he always washes his hands). In other words, he's self-centered and independent -- probably from my generation (Gen-X). Selfish.

Yes, the officials could have moved faster -- but I can't imagine how much louder the press would be if that had happened. Remember, he's a lawyer. You have to be very very cautious about how you treat lawyers. Many of them throw their figurative weight around to get their own way (not all, but you get conditioned; based on his behavior, I think Mr. TB would have been dangerous if detained without media outcry for it). I'm not really going to fault them. I fault him. He had no courtesy.

No comments: